Over the last few months the Prohibition PR team have been working hard to help launch a new online student magazine – Student Wire. The idea was to create a website specifically for students, written by students about being a student!
Our client The Student Store wanted specialist help to create a thriving online community. So we scoped the project out and looked at how we could create something which would help other students out, give advice and provide some great content that was relevant to the audience.
Prior to the launch of the project the team put together a number of focus groups from local universities to bring together thoughts and ideas of what they would like to read.
Emilie Sillett, a second year public relations undergraduate and current intern here at Prohibition HQ was made editor of the magazine due to her rather bubbly personality and passion for creative writing. She was then also asked to help recruit a team of budding journalists and creative writers to help her create a magazine with a difference.
To help increase awareness and garner interest, the magazine was seeded online through social media and student forums, getting as many people as possible to check it out and create a buzz around the launch of the site. After just four weeks Student Wire is already a huge success and a hit with under graduates from universities all over the UK.
So far it has writers from Leeds Metropolitan University, Liverpool John Moore’s, University of Salford and London Metropolitan providing advice, news and ideas on anything from how to choose your student accommodation through to how to cure a hangover.
Emilie is always looking for interesting features and creative writers so drop her an email if you think you are cut out for the job email@example.com.
For an idea of some of the topics the team write about at Student Wire, check out some of the favourite posts so far:
1. The Student Halls Lottery by Sarah Raynard
2. Clubbing.. Why bother? by editor, Emilie Sillett
3. Celebrities And Their Surprising, Unrelated Degrees by Amanda Champion
4. And have a look at my own article, Technology That Will Make Life Easier.
And finally, the sponsors of Student Wire – the Student Store – has recently launched a photo competition of ‘the work space from hell’. Be it your messy student house, your dirty desk or your rotten bedroom we want to see. The winner will be determined by public vote via the Student Wire Facebook page – so be creative as possible and you could be in with a chance £100 shopping voucher and the Adobe Creative Cloud software up for grabs! Apply here.
This was a guest article from Laura Crossley.
- Training in the fast lane at Camp Hill - May 29, 2018
- A day in the life of…. - November 30, 2017
- Facebook has announced some exciting new features and we can’t wait to try them out… - May 18, 2017
- The Top 10 Sports Stars on Social Media – and Who You Should Be Following - May 4, 2017
- New kid on the block – Prohibition reveals all about its newest recruit… - February 15, 2017
- The Top Social Media Mistakes of 2013 - December 19, 2013
- Social Media Fail Examples - December 5, 2013
- Five social media mistakes you should avoid - December 2, 2013
- Five must have tools for content marketing - November 27, 2013
- IS IT GOODBYE FOR FACEBOOK? - November 18, 2013