During a recent seminar at university, we were discussing dissertation topics. The media was one of the topics that we thought of. It got me thinking, just how powerful is the media? How much of the news we receive is actually 100% fact?
The news that the population of North Korea is state controlled due to the communist state the Government insist upon. That gets me thinking though, how on earth do we know that our news isn’t controlled by our state? We’re told that the news is 100% fact (to a certain extent) but how can we be totally sure?
This topic really got me in to public relations in a way, during my media course at sixth form, we looked in to how other countries received their news, and how it differs from our democratic society.
I can’t imagine being so sheltered from the media, especially with all the news we receive. There isn’t a moment in the day were we are not confronted by some form of media, especially now-a-days with our constant need for social media. I check Facebook constantly throughout the day, along with Twitter and I update my blog as much as possible, so there isn’t a point in the day were I am not receiving some form of news.
This is partly due to my course though, as it is incredibly important that I keep up to date with news. I have numerous news apps on my phone in order to stay up to date with the goings on in the world, like my previous blog post highlights, Kony 2012 has shown the true power of social media in the world.
I have a strong feeling that when my time comes to write my dissertation, that media/social media will be the topic that I write about, considering the fact that they both play such a major role in PR.
- New kid on the block – Prohibition reveals all about its newest recruit… - February 15, 2017
- The Top Social Media Mistakes of 2013 - December 19, 2013
- Social Media Fail Examples - December 5, 2013
- Five social media mistakes you should avoid - December 2, 2013
- Five must have tools for content marketing - November 27, 2013
- IS IT GOODBYE FOR FACEBOOK? - November 18, 2013
- Leeds: Creative Agencies in abundance - November 6, 2013
- Did Michael O’Leary go too far in unmoderated Twitter stunt? - October 25, 2013
- Top Tips: Advanced community management Seminar - September 25, 2013
- SEO vs. Social Media - August 5, 2013